I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again…I am no cook. However, when I find recipes the kids will eat up with no complaints, well, those are share-worthy! I found both in my Southern Living magazine, but each are tweaked for ease and personal taste.
Soulful Chicken Soup
2 lb. boneless chicken thighs
3-4 whole carrots, cut into ½ inch pieces
2-3 celery cut into ½ inch pieces
1 medium leek (white and light green parts only)
2 garlic cloves
1.5 tsp table salt
8 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of wide egg noodles
- Place chicken and all other ingredients except noodles in a slow cooker on low 6 hours or until chicken and veggies are tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and return the meat to the slow cooker. Stir in noodles and cook on high for 15-20 minutes until tender.
Chicken-Broccoli Mac and Cheese with Bacon
6 oz. uncooked large or regular elbow macaroni
3 cups pre-chopped broccoli florets
5 bacon slices, chopped
12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 ¼ cups low fat milk
1 cup unsalted chicken stock
¼ cup all purpose flour
5 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler to high. Cook pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli to the pot during last two minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Cook bacon and reserve 1 ½ tsp drippings. Sprinkle chicken with ¼ tsp salt. Cook chicken in hot drippings for approximately 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic and continue cooking 2 minutes.
- Whisk together milk, stock, flour, and remaining salt then add to skillet. Brink to a boil, stirring often. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in past mixture and addd 2 oz cheese. Top with bacon and remaining cheese. Broil 2 minutes.